READ AND UNDERSTAND THE TOPIC
Colorful idioms are everywhere! Here is a list of ten common colorful idioms, but this is just the beginning! There are so many more that are used in everyday English.
1. Out of the blue– randomly, without warning, surprisingly
Example: “That storm came out of the blue and I didn’t have an umbrella!”
2. Green with envy– to be very jealous, envious
Example: “Katie was green with envy when she saw you got a new car for your birthday.”
3. Gray area– something that is unclear, undefined
Example: The issue of allowing mobile phones in the classroom is a gray area right now- it could go either way.
4. Caught red-handed– to catch someone in the act of doing something
Example: “He was caught red-handed while stealing those candy bars.”
5. Green thumb– to be skilled at gardening
Example: “My mother has a green thumb- she can make anything grow!”
6. Black sheep– to be the outcast, odd one out, unlike the others
Example: “Rachel is the black sheep in the family because she is an artist whereas everyone else is an economist.”
7. Once in a blue moon– very rarely
Example: “Once in a blue moon you will see that mean professor smile.”