A wave is a vibratory disturbance in a medium which carries energy from one point to another point without any actual movement of the medium.
There are three types of waves
1) Mechanical waves: these are waves that require a material medium for their propagation e.g sound waves, water waves etc.
2) Electro magnetic waves: they are waves which do not require a material medium for their propagation e.g light waves, radio waves etc
3) Water waves: they are waves commonly used in modern technology but they are unfamiliar with us.
These waves are associated with electrons, protons and other fundamental particles
They are mechanical waves that occur in nature, the most important in our everyday lives are longitudinal waves in a medium usually air called sound waves
Sound waves are of three types
1) Infrasonic waves: the sound waves of frequency lies between 0 to 20HZ
2)Audible waves: the sound waves of frequency lies between 20HZ to 2000HZ
3) ultrasonic waves: the sound waves of frequency greater than 20000 HZ