Basic Facts about Mangos
1. More fresh mangoes are eaten around the world every day than any other fruit.
2. They were first grown in India over 5,000 years ago. In fact, the paisley pattern which was first developed there, is based on the shape of a mango.
3. It is believed that Buddha meditated under the cool shade of a mango tree.
4. Mango comes in many different shapes, sizes and colors including yellow, orange, red and green.
5. The vitamin content of mango depends on the variety and maturity of the fruit. When a mango is green and still growing there is a high vitamin C content, as the fruit ripens and matures the amount of vitamin A increases.
6. Giving someone a basket of mangoes is considered a gesture of friendship.
7. The mango tree plays a sacred role in India; it’s a symbol of love and some believe that they can even grant wishes.
8. The oldest living mango tree is 300 years old and is found in East Khandesh. Surprisingly, this tree still produces viable fruit!